Apply for a manufacturer's licence

Find information on this page about how to apply for a manufacturer’s licence to sell.


Apply online for a manufacturer’s licence using our online self-service iAGCO portal.


Fees vary depending on the type of manufacturer’s licence you want.  

Contact us

Need help? Contact us now by email or telephone. 


There are three types manufacturer’s licence to sell: 

Manufacturer’s licence – winery 
A winery licence allows a manufacturer to keep (store) wine with the intent to sell, or sell wine according to the regulations. 

Manufacturer’s licence – brewery 
A brewery licence allows a manufacturer to keep (store) beer with the intent to sell, or sell beer according to the regulations. 

Manufacturer’s licence – distillery 
A distillery licence allows a manufacturer to keep (store) with the intent to sell, or sell spirits according to the regulations. 

Distribution and warehousing

Generally, manufacturers can distribute their own beer, or the product of another similar manufacturer, to people who have bought it from the LCBO or someone else who’s allowed to sell liquor.  

See the related guide for each licence type for the details on what you can distribute and how it can be stored. To “distribute” means to transport liquor, which includes storing it during its transportation, to people who have bought it from the LCBO, or someone else who’s allowed to sell liquor. It doesn’t include transporting it to customers for consumption. For more information on this, refer to liquor delivery.

This could be another AGCO-licensed manufacturer. It could also be a third-party who isn’t licensed by the AGCO. Third-party carriers must also comply with related requirements. 

A note on off-site warehouses: manufacturers can’t promote, take orders or sell liquor from an off-site warehouse. You also can’t use an off-site warehouse to service deliveries to consumers. You must keep records for any offsite storage places that store liquor. You’ll need to provide that information to the AGCO on request. 

You can use certain third-party service providers to distribute your product. These service providers don’t need to have a licence from the AGCO to distribute liquor from the brewery. However, you must still comply with the Liquor Licence and Control Act, 2019 (LLCA), its regulations, and standards.  


To be eligible for a manufacturer's licence to sell, you must be: 

  • 19 years of age or older 
  • Financially responsible 
  • Conduct the business within the law and with integrity and honesty (please note that this may include, among other activities, police records checks)  

Applicants are generally not allowed any direct or indirect financial ownership in a business holding a Liquor Sales Licence (e.g., licensed restaurants and bars). Please refer to section 20 of Regulation 746/21 under the LLCA for further information. 

The AGCO issues manufacturer’s licences to people or businesses to operate at a specific location. As the licensee, you’re in charge of maintaining the licence. 

You can’t make alcohol with a manufacturer’s licence. You need an Excise licence from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) under the Excise Act and the Excise Act, 2001, to produce or package alcohol in Canada.   

To apply for or renew your manufacturer's licences you must use the iAGCO portal.  


Type of application One time Two years Four years 
New application    
Brewery licence N/A $3,150 $6,300 
Distillery licence N/A $2,520 $5,040 
Winery licence N/A $1,260 $2,520 

Step 1: Prepare your application

As part of your application, you’ll need to submit these things: 

  • Tax compliance verification number and attestation. You must:  
  • Summary of your business plan. This should include
    • A full description of the products to be manufactured on site 
    • Floor plans showing the complete layout of the manufacturing facility, including equipment and proposed location of any retail store to be located at the production site (if applicable) 
    • How you plan to sell your product(s) (e.g., LCBO, under a winery retail store endorsement, export) 
    • If your product(s) will be manufactured at a facility other than your own (please provide details) 
  • Copy of Federal Excise Licence
    You need an Excise licence from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) under the Excise Act and the Excise Act, 2001, to produce or package alcohol in Canada. 
  • Copy of Licence to Process (grapes, peaches, pears, plums and cherries)
    If you’re making Ontario wines from these fruits, you need a licence to process. You get this from the Farm Products Marketing Commission. 
  • Written proof of LCBO product testing 
    Please contact the LCBO for further information, including laboratory testing fees. Contact information can be found in the key liquor industry contacts page
  • Copy of business name registration 
    This is the business name under which you intend to operate. You may have to register under the business names act
  • Entity disclosure (if applicable) 
    Provide the names of anyone or any business that holds 10% or more of the outstanding shares or a class of shares. For complete information, please refer to the personal and entity disclosure requirements guide: liquor licences. 
  • Personal disclosure
    Provide personal disclosures from all the following people (where it applies):  
    • Sole proprietors 
    • All officers and/or directors 
    • All partners 
    • Any shareholder holding 10% or more of the outstanding shares or a class of shares 

Step 2: Apply online

To get a manufactures licence, you must set up an iAGCO account. Once you've set up your iAGCO account, you can apply for a licence.

Apply for a manufacturer's brewery licence

Apply for a manufacturer's distillery licence

Apply for a manufacturer's winery licence

Step 3: Wait for a decision

We try to process applications promptly. There may be delays if there are complexities with the application or if we need to more information from you.

Know your responsibilities

Once the AGCO has issued your manufacturer’s licence, you’ll want to operate your winery, brewery or distillery properly. As the manufacturer, you must comply with theLiquor Licence and Control Act, its regulations, and standards.