Horse Racing Licence Guide: Individuals and Administrative

Last Updated

Under the Horse Racing Licence Act, 2015 and its regulations, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) is responsible for the licensing of racetracks, teletheatres and racing participants.

This Guide contains detailed information to assist you in applying for the following licences, registrations and certificates (see Section 1 for a description of licence types and Appendix A – for a reference guide to licence types).


1.  Apprentice Jockey8. Hot Walker15. Program Breed
2.  Assistant Trainer9.  Jockey16. Rider
3.  Association Official10.  Jockey Agent17. Spouse of Licensee
4.  Authorized Agent11.  Jockey Valet18. Stable or Corporate Manager
5.  Driver12. Occupational19. Tradesperson - Employee
6.  Exercise Person13. Owner20. Tradesperson - Employer
7. Groom14. Pari-Mutuel Ticket Seller21. Trainer
  22. Veterinarian


  1. Claiming Certificate
  2. Estate/Trust Licence
  3. Lease Registration
  4. Partnership Registration
  5. Stable Licence

In addition, this Guide also contains detailed information to assist you in submitting a Regulatory Submission for:

  • Change in Employment Relationship
  • Declaration for Transfer of Trainer
  • EIPH Program – Horse Opt-Out (Shipping in to Compete in Ontario)
  • EIPH Program – Add or Remove Horse (Ordinarily Competing in Ontario)
  • Notification of an Equine Surgical Procedure
  • Notification of an Equine Fatality

Note: You must submit your application online through the iAGCO portal. To access iAGCO, click on the “iAGCO Online Services” button at the top of the AGCO's webpage. iAGCO provides an easy, convenient way to apply for, change and renew your horse racing-related licences and registrations anytime, from anywhere.