Thoroughbred - Corporate Licensing

Thoroughbred Stable Names and Corporations

A stable name, estate or multiple ownership entity (such as a corporation or a partnership) that owns a horse must be licensed by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). Prior to being licensed by the AGCO, the ownership must first be registered with the breed registry body, the Jockey Club of Canada, or in the United States through the Jockey Club.

In addition to the ownership entity, any person holding or controlling five per cent (5%) or more of an entity must be licensed as an owner.

Application Process

Effective March 2, 2020 all transactions with the AGCO must be completed online through iAGCO. Paper applications are no longer accepted for horse racing-related licenses and registrations. For more information, visit the iAGCO Information page.   

A complete application includes:

  • Completed stable/partnership application - including a list of names and addresses for all partners and controlling officers
  • Appropriate licensing fees
  • Business documentation as follows (if not already on file with the AGCO):
    • Corporation – Official Profile Report for the corporation name from the Ministry of Government Services
    • Partnerships (General or Limited) - Business Names Report from the Ministry of Government Services
    • Applicants can also obtain these reports electronically through a public record search:

Licensing fees

Individuals who are members of the stable, or meet one of the definitions listed under the Categories of Licensing, must be licensed as part of the stable licence (including corporations) or partnership licence application. These individuals must submit a separate Thoroughbred Individual Licence Application with the appropriate licensing fees.

For more information on Corporate and Individual Thoroughbred licensing fees,  see the Horse Racing Licensing Fees page.

Effect of Suspension

In the event that one or more of the members of a stable, corporation or partnership are suspended, the suspension shall also include any horses owned wholly or in part by the entity.

Changes to Business Entity

Any changes to the business entity must be reported to the AGCO.

Who Needs to be Licensed?


  • Depending on the size of the corporation, specific directors, officers, employees and/or shareholders may need to be individually licensed. Refer to Chapter 32 of the Thoroughbred Rules for specific requirements in this respect.

Partnership / Limited Partnership

  • Depending on the structure of the partnership, specific partners and/or employees may need to be individually licensed. Refer to Chapter 32 of the Thoroughbred Rules for specific requirements in this respect.

Registered Stable Name

  • The stable name
  • The owner or owners of the stable


  • The estate
  • The executors of the estate